Children Change Things
These are some of the extra financial strains that come with children -
- Keep calm: You are not alone, everyone with children knows the meaning of stress. Believe in the truth that no matter how bad things seem to be they will eventually resolve themselves. If things seem overpowering, talk to someone and ask for help.
- Live in the moment: The responsibility of children can bring with it a tendency to continually plan ahead. Looking for problems in the future and planning for the next important event can overtake you in a way that stops you from enjoying the moment. Living in 'the now' means that you will be an integral part of your child's life not just manager/events planner.
- Consider mindfulness and meditation: We should not suppress our feelings but left unchecked they can have a hugely negative impact on our lives. Practising mindfulness meditation will revolutionise how you cope with the clamour of modern life. Think of it as Yoga for the mind.
- Recognise when you are tired and need a break: Knowing when fatigue is affecting your judgement and delivery is important in any role. It is especially important where children are concerned. Learn to spot the signs early so that you can do something about it.
- Have the resolve to rest when you need to rest: "Chance would be a fine thing..." I understand that it can seem impossible to get any time to rest, especially in the early months, but you must find a way. Prioritise your workflow and recognise what can be replaced by rest. Think about this in conjunction with meditation.
- Make peace with your own weaknesses and the weakness of everyone around you: Being critical of yourself or those around you rarely helps matters. Perfection is an illusion and reality is all we have. Learn to accept the reality of others even if it clashes with your own view of the world.
- Be happy: It all finishes really quickly! One day you are looking after your children the next they are looking after you. Life happens, good and bad. Embrace it. Allow yourself time to enjoy everything that is unfolding around you.
NOTE: Bringing up children is an expensive issue. Asking someone to take on that burden as well as the wellbeing of your children is a big deal. Insurance cannot lessen the emotional pain or alleviate the commitment required. BUT it can take away the financial burden and deliver the kind of future we all want for our children.
The Jungian view of child education is that children are educated by the true nature of the adults around them not by what those adults say.
It's important to stress the difference between the principles involved in good financial planning that a Seize Control of Your Money session offers and the advice/sale of selected financial products, instruments or services of which we have no direct involvement.
If you find yourself unable to cope emotionally with any part of family life get professional help. In the UK there are many organisations you can approach like -
familyline.org.uk - Tel. 0808 800 5678.
How Can I Help?
Follow up today with a Seize Control of Your Money Session: I can help with your specific issues in a private 30 minute one-on-one session delivered live online via Zoom Video.